Online marketers are a special breed, we eat live and breathe the web. How it works, how it grows and how to best make it work for our sites. Something that we are continuously fascinated by is site promotion. What is the best way to promote our sites and blogs? Which method is the fastest, easiest, most productive, etc. Below I highlight five ways to promote your blog this week that are tried and true. Try one of them this week.
1. Blog Hop – a blog hop is sort of like a web meme but strictly for blogs. They can be for certain days of the week such as the Spicy Saturday Blog Hop, for certain topics, certain types of bloggers and so on. Google “blog hop’ and you’ll find quite a few you can join and get involved with. Usually there’s a host, a co host, followed by bloggers (such as yourself) who newly joined. These can be a good source of traffic, readers and more.
2. Facebook – what blogger hasn’t heard of Facebook? The entire planet it seems has a Facebook account and according to statistics, most now access the site via their mobile phones and multiple times a day. Some spending hours on the site. With those numbers, it’s hard pressed to ignore the social media giant. So get involved either via a group or fan page and become an active FB member for business. Your blog business.
3. Twitter – another social media monster, Twitter is great for engaging people. Search by niche, by topic, by keyword or by site name and follow those who would be interesting for your blog. This could be your ideal prospect, your ideal reader, your ideal client, etc. Ask questions, use hash tags, be useful and retweet regularly. In other words, be a truly dedicated Twitter member.
4. Giveaway – this one has been discussed numerous times as a method to promote a blog and the reason it’s often mentioned is because it works. Choose a good prize, set a good deadline (not too soon and not too far off in advance) and let your readership promote it heavily. If you have a good and fun prize, you should do well with your giveaway. Let everyone know about it and don’t forget to promote it via your Twitter and Facebook accounts as well.
5. Cross Blog Conversation – this is fancy speak for having a conversation with another blogger on the same topic. I learned of this via affiliate marketer Lynn Terry and she mentions that a cross blog conversation is simply contacting a blog owner and mention a topic that both of you will discuss on each others blog and readers get to listen in. One starts it on his or her blog and the other continues the conversation on their blog. This is an excellent way to ride on the traffic and readership of an established site, give it a try today.
There are numerous ways to promote your blog, the trick is to pick a few methods and get creative with it. Don’t be afraid to try new things, as what works can vary by niche. For a food blogger, a blog hop might do really well whereas a tech blog might do excellent on Facebook or Twitter.
Always have fun and one more super important tip is to have an end goal or end result. This way you will know if what you’re doing is working or not. Are you reaching your goal? If not, re-evaluate and try again. Are you achieving what you meant to achieve? If so, then you’re on the right track. Keep going.
This guest article was written by Missy Diaz who owns eBook Reader Geek, a blog dedicated to digital reading and the latest Kindle Fire Covers on the web. When she’s not updating her site, she loves to read what’s new with web marketing, walk, run and ride her bike along the Chicago lakefront.
Share this article